I've had a Springfield M1903 in my rack for more than 40 years. As a twenty-something, I lost interest in it because it has a very low serial number (19,0XX) and I understood it couldn't be fired. Now, as a sixty-something, my interest in it has grown again.

I believe that serial number indicates the rifle was built in 1903. The barrel is a Springfield dated 1916. I'm curious about what may have gone on with the rifle during that 13 year period.

Check my thinking on this. The US was not at war between 1903 and 1916, so I doubt the original barrel was shot out and replaced. I don't have the original stock, so I don't know whether there might have been a rebuild mark on it. Might the receiver have sat on a shelf all that time and not mated with a barrel until 1916 or later? I assume the receiver was converted from the '03 to the '06 cartridge somewhere along the line, but I don't know how to fit that into the likely chronology.

Would someone with more knowledge than I have (it wouldn't take much!) care to speculate on the rifle's history? I'm just curious. Am I correct in understanding that it shouldn't be shot? How significant is the risk?

By the way, other than a warn finish, the rifle appears to be in excellent shape. The metal shows no signs of having seen battle.

Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks,

Mike
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.