Okay; my mauser ( 1912/61 steyr cal 7.62X51mm) has the sights set for 300 yds at it's lowest setting. It's about 12" high at 100yds. I want to get down to 100 yds. One of y'all sent me a link for the front sight blank from Brownell's. (thanks by the way) . So I got one. I thought it was rather thick (.077) so I had a machinist buddy of mine mill it down to .052. I'm going to do the shoot and file method to get it down to either a zero @ 100yds or about 1"-1.5" high at 100YDS. Now here's my question: If I get it down to 100yds, will the graduations on the rear sight work for 200, 300,and so on. Would it be recommended to have it set at a different zero in order for it to be in at the further distannces. I pretty much have a load worked up the groups in the moa range.
Has anyone atempted this and what kind of sucess dod you have? are there any thing to look for or be careful of during the process? Any information would be appreciated. 8)
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.