I recently acquired an Inland from a friend who says his dad brought it back from the Pacific in WW II. He says that his dad only shot it now and then at their farm, but mostly kept it under the bed. My friend kept it wrapped in a blanket in the closet.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to carbines. The last one I handled was in the service in 62.

Here's the details of the rifle:

Bbl is marked as an Inland with a 7-42 date, with a serial No. of 81XX.

The stock seems to be of the high wood variety.

No marks that I can see on the front and rear sights. The rear sights are a flip up type.

The safety is a push through type.

The stock is dinged in places, but generally in OK shape.
- There is a "P" in a circle on the bottom of the pistol grip.
- Inside the sling slot, there is an Ordinance Mark with the flames pointing to the left, and a cross cannons mark pointing to the top of the stock.
- There's a weird little mark at the rear of the sling slot that looks like a "V" with arms pointing left and right and within a circle. Although, the mark is faint and the circle may be a semi-circle or arc at the open end of the "V."

I can't see any marks elsewhere on the stock, trigger or mag well. I haven't field stripped it yet, so I don't know if the internals have been changed out.

The sling seems really old, and lighter in color than the web slings I remember.

The oiler is dinged here and there, with some real slight rust here and there.

I'll have to borrow a good digital camera to post some photos, the cell phone just doesn't cut it.

So, what's up with this rifle, shoot it or stash it?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.