My cousin, deceased, was a pre-WWII Marine Gunny Sgt. He took his personal 1903 NM rifle retrofitted with the Marine rear peep and wider front blade to the 'Canal. He told me long ago that the bigger Marine sights were the ticket in the low light levels in the jungle as the sights could be seen well. After the 'Canal he shipped the 03 to the Marine Depot which I believe was in Philadelphia for rebuild (Gunnys can do anything!) as it was by then in terrible shape. The Depot then sent the rebuilt rifle to his wife. I inherited the rifle about 20 years ago and have cherished it ever since. As a tribute to him I fired it in the first 1903 match at Perry. The rebuild unfortunately replaced most of the original NM parts. New barrel, prewar C stock, bolt, and other bits and pieces were installed. Butt plate, receiver and possibly the trigger guard and follower are orignal to the rifle, and thankfully they left the USMC sights on the rebuilt rifle. Still a neat rifle in mint condition, stock has no cartouche of course nor any stamped markings. Tom