I've long toyed with the idea of an enfield plinker in a smaller caliber to get around the issues of 303 price and availability, much more of an issue here NZicon, than in the US. I have a rifle with a worn out barrel that would be an ideal conversion. I've tried a no8 .22 but its not quite what I'm after.

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith in NZ who might be at home with a project like this?

I liked .223 because while in the US it was the cheapest by far of the bulk ammo at gunshows, but these days in NZ the main lean for cheap shooting seems to be 7.62x39.

I like target shooting (and don't hunt), but as yet don't compete, so ammo thats moderately accurate for paper shooting would be a good choice. I see comments that 7.62x39 is considerate accurate ( ie over on the website for enfield conversions for Special Interest Arms). The other concern will be availability, is there any foreseeable reason to think that either 223 or x39 will dry up and be expensive in the future?

I'd be interested in hearing anyones pros and cons and experience, thanks, much appreciated. R
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.