Greetings all I am new to the forums and had some questions about the M1917.

Short back story, I was at someones house and the topic of guns going to waste was broached. I was informed by the home owner that he had a rifle sitting on his back porch just rusting away... So I thought to myself "Free rifle sure why not..."

After a bit of web searching, I discovered I was the new owner of a Winchester Model of 1917 that was manufactured 1918. Also with a little research I've learned its been sporterized. Now for the damage... So far I've been able to scour the worst of the rust off and knock the dirt dauber's nest out of the barrel... There is not much of the bluing left and the stock has some damage to the finish. Also some prior owner couldn't decide where they wanted to place the rear sight at so I have three options now... When I find my camera I'll upload photos.

Does anyone have some solid advice about this 'project' rifle before I take it to the gunsmith or should I just give up now?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.