Hello all,
I have a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 PU Sniper Rifle on layaway at a gun store. How do you tell if it is original or one of those you read about where someone has just slapped a PU scope on a plain 91/30?

I went to the store today and paid a few more bucks towards it. The price tag on the rifle was $499.00. Anyway, he got it out to let me look at. I honestly don't know if it is an original factory made sniper rifle or one that they just slapped a scope on. The stock is in good shape but covered with that old looking varnish or something wich is crackind and pealing all over it, a fine looking stock showing under that in those places. The bore is in excellent condition.

The scope is in very good condition and has the little leather cups or lensecovers connected with a thin leather strap whis is passed through the hole on the mount, I reckon so you won't lose it. The reticle moves when you turn those knobs. The glass and view through it is clear as heck, not blurry towards the edges nor cloudy or scratched like some I have seen.

I was writing down pertinant info off of the gun but I had left my danged glasses in my truck. It was storming and pouring down outside so I did not want to run through the rain to get my glasses. Besides, I had to rush to get my son home in time to go to work (we drove from Montgomery, Al to the store which is Columbus, Ga.) and forgot to write the date of the rifle or maker.

But I did get this: The rifle's serial #, all matching, is C18409. The last four of that, 8409, is engraved into the scope mount too. There was some sort of mark on top of the receiver like a triangle or a pyrimid laying on its side. As far as scope markings, when looking at the tube of the scope you have a "star", under that the hammer and sickle, under that what looks like an upside down strung longbow. And under that "91/30", and under that the letter/number combo of "N4-817139". I did not see a date on the scope but the lighting was not so good where we stood and I did not have my glasses.

The gun was imported by CAI, Georgia, Vt. I can't believe I forgot to get the date off the gun.
Later,
FB
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.