Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
OK, then! Now to figure out from where my wrong-headedness on this issue originated...I really think y'all are right, but sometime in the murky past, an argument was made the other way. Maybe if we just drop the "Trials" from the description of each...

BTW, RJW, my No.1 Mk.V shoots very well IF the ammo MV is consistant. Even a 50fps variation makes a huge differnce at 100yds. Probably a bedding issue, but I'm NOT gonna go tweaking things on an original, matching scarce rifle that won't be shot much anyway.
I'm all for dropping the "trials" from the title. I get the thought the term was used to allow a quantity of a different rifle be produced without being accepted first. Sort of a heading to put on a production order...

For a bit more study on the MkV, there has been a survey of serial numbers and some descriptions run by "ansleyj" over at gunboards, link below... The info is a bit fractured in format due to the board upgrade a while back.

POLL: SMLE V survivors

As for their fate, wasn't it rumoured the majority of the MkV's were given to South Africa in the thirties? I seem to remember something about this, or was it another myth that should be on my "Gems" thread.