Took the Eddystone out yesterday and had some fun punching paper. I really like this rifle and find it more comfortable to hold than the 1903. However, I wonder what kind of accuracy I should be expecting at this point. This is my first Model of 1917 and the first time that I shot it. It was about 100 degrees and about a 10 mph cross wind using Lake City ammo. With 6 shots sitting with arms on a concrete bench and holding at 6-oclock on an 8-inch diameter target, I was getting consistent 4-inch groups above and mostly to the right of center at 50 yards. Unfortunately I forgot my spotting scope and they don't rent them anymore at the range so this was a far out as I could see the hits and so as far as I shot. Is this kind of grouping at this distance reasonable? I'm not the best shot in the world but it seems like I should be able to do better. I have to admit that the peep sight was hard for me to get used to - it looked too big, taking in the entire front sight and all - are there any tricks to being more consistent shot after shot with this rifle? I'm going to take it back out in the next week or so with the spotting scope and see what it can do at 100 yards so any help, tricks, tests, would be appreciated.

Thanks!

John
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.