I recently found a flintlock musket in a local gun shop that I would like your input on. It is a Britishicon military piece and has the same barrel and brass fittings that I found on line on a Brown Bess, Rings and shallow band with two proof marks at the breech. It also has a Tower G R lock. Sling sviwles and ramrod pipes are also similar as well as the iron ramrod. The face of the cock is different in that it is flat rather than convex. The barrel is only 54 inches and the stock has the raised cheek rest, like the Brown Bess, but does not have the "crease" down the side, but a conventional look. There is also a small Germanicon silver rectanglar inlay on top of the wrist and inverted vee checkering on the sides of the wrist. On top of the barrel, about 1" ftrom the breech is marked "Sharp's Extra". " Sharp" is also marked between the two proof marks that are also common to the Brown Bess. The musket is in good to very good condition. What is it, and is it worth the $650.00 asking price? Strangely, there is also a second identical musket that has been converted to caplock with a very old broken wrist repair that is very crude. Both are on consignment by a widow who set the price based on a old, oil stained, handwritten price tag that was put on by her deceased husband. I realize, this is very long, but I would really appreciate your help.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.