This was my grandfather's gun. He was a park ranger stationed at Yellowstone or somewhere out west at the entry gate during WW2. A soldier or ex-soldier was traveling through and when asked if he had any weapons, said yes, this gun. When told he had to turn it in and could pick it back up when he came back, the soldier said don't worry about it and gave it to my grandfather. That's the story, I can't say if it's true.

I know from this site that it's manufacture date is 1918. I'm sure the grips are not 1918 and might have been installed by my grandfather, he did a lot of gunsmithing including re-blueing guns. My question is, is the slide proper for 1918 gun? I've seen slides that had the colt horse at the rear of the slide. Any other parts look out of date for this year gun? The barrel has a small "F" on it, otherwise I can't find any other markings. Many thanks, and here is link to photobucket album with 5 pics: early 1911A1 pictures by Selmalinapilchard - Photobucket
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.