Ok, long story. Saw an ad over at AR15.com. Here is the original ad.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=93&t=800150

So I saw an 870 with a bunch of taticool stuff, especially the surefire forend for a decent price. I thought the heat shield was fake, and the US stampings were fake as well. But I talked the guy down to $400. I was planning on buying a surefire in the next week and they are about $225 or so. So I thought $175 more and get a shotgun with 2 barrels. No brainer. So I drove down to pick it up.

After seeing it in person I don't think it's a bubba job. In fact I almost think it's military. The heat shield I'm sure is original USGI. It is stamped on the other side SP-30-06. It is 6 rows with 29 holes. Looking at compare to other USGI heat shields online it looks legit. I have a couple fakes, and this one is no where in comparison to them. I took it off the barrel and it was a bear to take off. It had been on there a long time. But under the barrel, the slots for the screws on the underside and the bead on the top were both removed and made and then parked over. And it's obviously a very old park job. The US is stamped on the side. I believe it's the original finish. I don't think this was ever reparked. I don't see any evidence of sandblasting.

And after I got the shell sideholder off, it's a wingmaster serial S798647v. It's marked Cyl. on the barrel. I see a J stamp. And I see RFB or RFP, I would guess this is an inspectors mark. I got really good pics of all the the writing in the link below.

The finish was really old and dry. I rubbed it down with a rig rag, and it really cleaned up.

But there are a ton of pics on the link below. I pulled off all the tatical crap, and just put the barrel with the heat shield back on with the simple aftermarked stock set. He said that this was the stock set that was on it when he got it. So I know that's not original. But what do you guys think? Military or not?

Here is a link to tons of pics.

http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/t...%20wingmaster/
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.