45B40-95B40

As a side note the method of preservation you are describing dates from the mid to late 1960s used by the U.S. military. I attended many, many different packaging and preservation schools as an Inspector during my 38+ years working at a military depot. The storage methods you have been describing using VCI materials are for short term storage methods. The VCI materials works by out gassing and transferring the preservation material to the item being preserved inside sealed air tight bags. This storage method is used normally for storage of items for LESS than one year (short term pack) and not for long term storage.

Damp air is your enemy and I can tell you I have never stored any of my firearms in storage bags even though I had easy "access" to "mil-spec" storage materials.

The firearms you see below are in a locked room in my basement and hanging upside down from the ceiling which is the driest area in my home. The only preservation on these rifles is good old CLP which gets reapplied once a year or after returning from the range.

The rifles I do not shoot did have RIG applied to them until my supply ran out for long term storage protection, BUT RIG is no longer manufactured. Being the cheap bastard that I am these now have my triple mix of raw linseed oilicon, beeswax and turpentine applied to them.

In closing the last ten years before I retired I work in an office with two ex-army grunts and one of these grunts jumped out of perfectly good Air Force aircraft. Needless to say the office had inter-service warfare going on every day BUT no one was ever killed maimed or injured.

So please remember this...........

I never jumped out of a perfectly good aircraft.

None of the aircraft I worked on ever got stuck in the sky.

And NONE of the aircraft I worked on crashed.

Proud member of the Military Airlift Command, (MAC) 610th Military Airlift Support Squadron, Yokota Air Force Base Japanicon 1970-73 (You call we haul)