I'm very sorry to open up this Pandora's Box again but I have a legitimate question to ask, I did PM Peter Laidlericon and he agreed it was better to ask the question on the open forum.

I wanted to know if a No.4 trials rifle with the letters ZF painted on the butt would have been condemned purely because it has non-standard, non-interchangable, parts?

Perhaps Mr Skennertonicon would like to offer any information here because I read in his excellent reference work "The Lee Enfield" that these trials rifles were pressed into service after so many small arms were lost at Dunkirk. They were converted to more closely resemble standard No.4 Mk1s but were given an "A" suffix to the serial number to indicate they possessed certain non-interchangeable parts.

After the war, in the 1950's, these emergency weapons were ordered to be withdrawn and scrapped because of the non-standard parts. Would one of these with a completely different action or body have been classed as "ZF" even though it was serviceable?

I wonder...

Curly
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.