NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    10-22-2019 @ 12:14 PM
    Local Date
    05-30-2024
    Local Time
    05:28 PM

Questions About My No.4 Mk1 (T) Sniper Rifle

I purchased a No.4 Mk1 (T) sniper rifle a few years ago from a gun shop in Anchorage, Alaska. The gun shop was selling several guns that use to belong to an Englishman with the last name of Mitford (Rumor has it that he was some type of spy or intelligence officer during WWII, any info on him would be appreciated). Most of the guns for sale from the collection were made in Englandicon, Canadaicon, Australiaicon & Scotland. From the collection I bought this rifle, a double rifle and a very early Webley revolver. Anyway after reading Peter Laidlericon's "An Armourer's Perspective" I still have a few questions concerning my No.4 Mk1 (T) rifle and I am hoping someone can help answer some of them. My rifle came with a 15 MK1 chest, MK III scope and metal scope box. The left butt socket is marked 47C, 1944, H33363, TR. Left receiver is marked very lightly with what appears to be an electro-pencil and says N4 Mk1 (T1) with an arrow pointing up, but no Holland & Holland T present. Right receiver has the S stamp present, England, and a stamp I don't recognize. Butt stock has S51 and serial number of rifle, but no scope number. Back of receiver has crown over D6 over E. Below front scope pad stamped in the wood is an X. Front sight setup appears to be non MK1 and sight blade says FOR on top. I am wondering if this rifle could be one of the Holland & Holland rifles that was rejected by them because of the lack of T, different front sight and no scope number on butt stock (Note bore does have 5 grooves). Also 15 MK1 chest is stamped (T. Less Telescope) on the front. But tag on the end of the chest mentions the MKIII scope. I am unable to locate any FTR stamps or marks on the rifle. Scope seems to fit scope pads ok and it appears to zero properly. What do I have.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Badger; 11-17-2010 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Edited post to fix atatchment to show in-line with thread ...