This is my first post, correct me if my terminology is incorrect.

Back in the early 90's my brother gave me a service grade M1 rifle he bought from a friend who used it in CMPicon matches. According to the serial # it was manufactured in mid-1943 at Springfield Armory, it has a WRA bolt. I suspect it was replaced by his friend for whatever reason.

I accumalated alot of ammo, but never shot the rifle.

Recently, a buddy and I were discussing military rifles, and for whatever reason my interest in the M1 was renewed. Please don't get me wrong, its an honor for me to own an M1 because of its history; and the sacrifices made by our serviceman using it in WWII and Korea. Is there a way of finding out who this M1 was issued too during the war?

Excuse me, I'm getting carried away from the reason I'm posting.

The bore is corroded. I attempted to scub the bore out, soaking it in Hoppes, Shooters Choice etc. even ammonia. I even attached the rod to my drill.....no luck, it's still ugly.

An acquaintance who shoots an M1Aicon, mentioned that although the bore looks bad it could still be a shooter.....he said shoot it first before looking to replace the barrel.

In my experience a bad bore is an inaccurate shooter.....right? Is there something about military rifles I'm not aware of?

Also, I can rotate the gas cylinder very slightly, can this be fixed or does it need to be replaced? This same acquaintance said if I remove the cylinder there is a keyway that can be peened over which will stop the rotating of the cylinder?

Please advise

Thank you for your time......Carl
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.