Model 1917 Winchester ?
A friend of mine just found a rifle ( along with a couple of pistols) in the attic of his recently deceased father. He brought them to me to clean them up a little and tell him what they are.
One is a Luger S/37 I believe. I will get more info. on that later. The rifle really interested me. It states on the receiver Model of 1917 Wincester 121118. There is a W on the barrel with a proof mark and 1-18.
The bolt has no wear whatsoever on it and when released, it almost opens and closes itself. It is amazingly smooth. The finish is the greenish parkerization I have seen on my M1icon from 1943. I tried to look down the barrel with a light and I couldn't see a thing. I pushed a patch down and it is clogged with grease, cosmolineicon, I presume. The stock is immaculate. There is a GM-1 or I and that's it for markings on the stock. It is walnut and very dirty.
He wants it cleaned up but I don't know if I have the time or patience to clean that barrel up. I also don't have any experience taking it apart. I am guessing it is like the Eddystone but I don't really know what to call it.
Any information and help would be appreciated.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.