I've posted about my No. 4 Mk. I* before, but the saga continues.

When I bought the rifle it was restored with mixed wood and looked (and smelled!) rather bad. I swapped out the wood set for one of the new 'beech' sets that Collector's Source has, and that BDLicon Ltd. used to have. The problem is that I'm still not happy with the look and now my accuracy has gone from great to a shotgun pattern at 100 yards (the wood was not fit [bedded?] properly).

On the weekend I tore the rifle down, lightly sanded the wood, and in my infinite wisdom I tried (for what it's worth my dad also suggested this...) to use bleach on the forestock to lighten it to match the rest of the parts. I know, I know, that didn't work and was a stupid idea.

What I really want is a set of wood that looks like the Irish contract rifles, or at least a lot lighter than what I've got. This rifle is a restored, mismatched, bubba that really has no collector value. It's a gun that I don't mind hauling around the bush or taking or the range since the bore is great and it's accurate, or at least it used to be. I treat it well but it's not a safe queen.

Long story short, do I have a hope in hell of ever finding a set of Irish contract style of wood or am I just going to have to make do with what I've got? I don't want to buy an Irish contract rifle, mainly because I only have space for one No. 5 and it's going to get shot regularly and I just can't bring myself to buy an $800 in the wrap rifle as a range gun. The gun also needs a new mag since the old one is a little brown and hangs up if loaded to 10 (could be my 125gn reloads though). For the money, I might be better off just selling this gun (thinking I could get maybe $350 shipped for it) with the two sets of wood and buying a used Irish contract rifle. Awhile back P&S had a No. 4 with the type of wood I was looking for, I think it was a Maltby, but I've never seen Jean carry another one since.

Thoughts?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.