This is for Wardog61, I've never fired blanks in a weapon I've personally owned. It is my understanding that firing blanks allows the unrestricted flow of extremely fast jetting gases that virtually act like an acetylene torch to attack your barrel throat and bore. This phenomenon is known as barrel erosion. The relatively slower process of pushing a projectile down the bore reduces this effect significantly. But, a rule of thumb is the faster the round the shorter the barrel life. In my military career I fired huge amounts of blanks in various training exercises. I had no heartburn shooting them through barrels that our government bought by the truckload. I replaced many. With my limited budget I only want to shoot "business" rounds in my meager but high quality collection. Blanks are fun, but may affect the ability of your rifle to shoot effectively over the long haul. I really like well placed rounds.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.