Just joined your forum so that I can learn from the experts that post here. Benn lurking a bit previously. I was finally able to pick up my first M1icon Carbine from a family friend and was really excited about getting a piece of history that I have wanted since I was a boy. He wanted it to go to a "good home" and I was very pleased to adapt it. Was not looking for a "pure" collectable M1 Carbine; just not a replica...something with a history in good shape. Certainly won't be a primary range rifle but will be shot occasionally. Heck, I am thrilled in just saying I have one. I have found out a few things about my carbine but want to hear more from this forum in regards to what I have acquired. Now some specifics about it. The carbine that I have has an Inland receiver (serial number 490xxx, Inland barrel (stamped 7-43), with a flat bolt. It has been through the refurb process with all the updates that I see but seems to be very consistent with manufactured parts. It does have a Type III barrel band again from Inland (stamped AI) and what I would guess is a replacement high wood stock since it is stamped with OI (Overton for Inland) in the sling groove (which is not "I" cut) but has no other stamps or cartouches that I could find (no "P" on butt grip or cross cannons on stock side). It also has the adjustable sight rather than what I would assume would be the correct flip sight. Another example of refurb; it has the flip/toggle safety (stamped small OC over a large M) instead of a push/crossbolt one. I have not completely stipped it yet so do not know how the other parts are stamped. In checking the serial number with a table I found the gun is from March '43. Not interested in value since I am not looking to part with it but would like any more details or specifics about my new "war baby" that you experts could provide. Any info or details as to what I have would be greatly appreciated. Suggestions on reading material and reference sites where I can learn more about the M1 Carbine would also be appreciated. Thrilled to be part of this "family of owners" and I look forward to continuing to read all the posts here.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.