I am new to this forum so excuse any apparent mistakes. I just purchased a 1945 dated No 4 that has been modified for drill and practice. It is marked L59A1 on the left of the receiver and the original model stampings have been peened out. This particular weapon, now this will break your heart, has a hole cut through the beech stock into the chamber and the receiver has been weakened by cuts. To show the internals of the rifle these cuts have been highlighted with white paint as if illustrating chamber and bolt lock up. Additionally there are two white bands painted on the stock with 'DP' stenciled in black letters. The barrel and chamber is plugged and the striker has been broke off.
This was sitting in the back of a flea market and after I considered it awhile I thought it may make a good addition to my collection of Enfields. I did recall reading something about this and sure enough Stratton's book has some info. Also Google 'L59A1' to get a look and article on the internet. I will try to post photos as I explore this site and if there is any interest. Any info will be appreciated about this gun. I see no import marks. rrb
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.