I got a nice book on bayonets today for the beginning collector. It's called "An Illustrated History of Bayonets" by Martin J Brayley. Large format, paperback by Krause Publications is currently out of print but still available for a reasonable price from used dealers. Found mine on ebay. May be reprinted soon as a few sites were advertising it as being available again in a couple of months.

I say beginner collectors because it does not go into a lot of detail with manufactures, dates or markings. It does have excellent photos of most bayonets and their scabbards along with many period photos of them attached to rifles or being used in some other way. It also goes into historical descriptions of the bayonets and their development. Advanced collectors might like it just for the photos.

As this seems to be a tough hobby to find written information that's affordable, might be worth checking into it to see if it might suit you.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.