New to the forum.
I just acquired a 1903 low serial number, below 800,000 springfield armory. This rifle has been customized. The action sports a heavy Douglas barrel chambered in 220 Swift, with a timney trigger and a Bishop stock. The receiver is drilled and tapped for a one piece scope base, two holes, one front and one rear of the bolt opening.
I traded for this rifle and in talking with the previous owner his great uncle had this rifle made up in the 50's or 60's. He called the other day and informed me that he had found the scope base and shipped it to me.Not what I expected at all. Its a Redfield one piece mount, looks like someone took a grinder and made it half-way fit the forward ring of the recciever. The rear grinding act is not a sight for the faint of heart. It don't even fit.
I have a soft spot in my heart for the 1903's and the swift so this is one I will try to get the scope base problem corrected.
I have another 1903 low serial number custom rifle that was really done right. This rifle has a Redfield one piece base three bolt hole pattern. On the underside of the mount, inside the bolt opening, looks like a casting "redfield #6". This rifle was built for the pervious owner in the 40's. So I know at one time there was a scope base made that fits.
In my recent search for a scope base all that I can find available are the current Redfield Chinese bases, with three bolt holes.
Not trying step on toes but I am aware of the "problem" with the low serial receivers and I accept the responsibility for my actions.
Any help will be appreciated ,
thanks,
Jack
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.