Advisory Panel

Last On
    06-09-2023 @ 04:20 AM
    Local Date
    06-22-2024
    Local Time
    06:01 PM

Wink Or Bad...20rds at 200 w/ "new" FAL

Bone stock, chrome bored, semi-auto FAL.

Shot it a few rounds a few weeks ago off the bench at 100yds w/ surplus South African ammo. It shot well, a couple of inches high.

So, with no further preparation, yesterday I fired 20rds standing at 200yds, using Germanicon DAG surplus. No shooting coat, just regular old leather jacket.

Very early morning 100% cloudy, falling temps, and a bit breezy, but no giant winds, as the range is in a "hole". Makes for rapid random changes, but benchrest wasn't on the agenda. Mostly out to shoot a "new" Winchester .22! (and 5rds out of "Fat B@&#@&)" for zero check.)

Range "cold", no danger to the fellow placing targets!

Remember, this was shot standing, so don't think the rifle was responsible for this "pattern". The upper left three hits I can't explain. -Need some more trigger time to figure out what I did wrong on those!

One hole missing. Unfortunately, the range was dim enough to make hits in the black hard to see w/ the ancient Redfield spotting scope, so I don't know why!

Not hideous, zero seems good, but not for bulls-eye. Probably run the sight up to "3" for better "score".

Trigger pull was fairly inconsistant, but when it did break it didn't disturb the sight picture. Mostly it was variations in weight and "creep" or travel. Most annoying was the bolt started to fail to stay back after 8-10 rounds, probably 5-6 times. Very different feel in follow through!

Seems like it's got some potential, and performed well above expectations. Not something I'm apt to really concentrate upon, but it'll definitely see more range time. As a left handed rifle shooter, primarily, it was rather less awkward than remembered!

Oh, and the white line that "bisects" the rear peep aperature wasn't noticed at all. It's quite annoying under artificial lighting.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by jmoore; 03-05-2011 at 09:58 AM.