This is definitely a Yugoslav manufactured intermediate action model 1924 rifle. It was manufactured at Kragujevac in 1929. The stock and bolt are mismated. I gave $125 =shipping and transfer totaling $179. The seller made no mention of the Germanicon markings- in fact wasn't even sure of it's nationality and under-priced the weapon.

Anyway, I first noticed signs of German handling on it, German action screws, serial # stamped on butt plate and rear sight ladder. These are German marking practices, not Yugoicon. I took off the hand guard and it had the (matching, wonder of wonders!) serial number stamped in it too. Again, not a Yugoslav custom.

Then I saw the barrel had German stamps all over it. I am pretty familiar with Yugo markings but am woefully ignorant of German. The barrel is a German barrel, not Yugoslav. The Yugoslavians cut a relief for the extractor so as to let the entire cartridge case to be supported. This barrel has no such relief cut. There's a pic of each. It has a 0.2 stamp indicating a rebarrel. There seems to be some indecision about bore dia since it is stamped both "789" & "7.9." That's the little I do know. A Nazi rebarreling job? there is no Yugoslav proof on it. I don't know what a German proof looks like. But, if a Nazi capture, there is no single German marking or modification to the stock. Maybe a Partizan job?

I have had indications that the dirty bird behind the serial number is unfamiliar, unknown or doesn't look right. Faked? if so, are all the stamps faked? That's an awful lot of faked stamps. Too, where's the motivation? Kind of hard to pass this off as a German rifle when all the stamps were hidden under the hand guard. The seller obviously didn't pay a fortune for it nor begin to try to capitalize on it either.

I hope you can help me out. I have a load of pics. I'll dump what I can so you all can help me out. I got some info from one member already but want more. Remember, other than what I've mentioned, and the WWII era WaA, I don't know what any of those mean!

Attachment 21306 Attachment 21315 Attachment 21314 Attachment 21313 Attachment 21312 Attachment 21311 Attachment 21310 Attachment 21309 Attachment 21308 Attachment 21307 Attachment 21305 Attachment 21316
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.