Hi, I got a Vz24 from AIM Surplus and am thinking of refinish the stock and hand guard.

Last weekend, I removed the cosmolineicon from the wood stock and hand guard. To my surprise, not much cosmo came out of it. The stock was reddish and the hand guard was reddish brown when I got the Vz24 – mismatched colors.

Now after “baking out” the cosmolines, the stock is more darkened/blackened reddish and the hand guard is more yellowish brown. The difference in color is apparent to bare eyes, which doesn’t look very good.

Has anyone refinished the stock/hand guard after removing the cosmo? If so, how did you strip down the original reddish stains from the stock? Some people use hot water with soap while others use acetone (a kind of chemical).

What’s the most effective method of stripping the reddish stains, which won’t have adverse effect on the wood?

For refinished, what do you use to restore the finish on the Vz24? Mine was a Russianicon refurbished. What would be the original stock finish on the Czechicon Vz24? How about Boiled linseed oilicon or Tung Oil?

Please share your experience. Thanks.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.