I have been enjoying reading past posts about these versions and thought I would just describe one that is in a local shop. 1898 Springfield Armory SN#447535. If Old Guns is correct it makes it 1903 production. The stock is light in color and has a very clear 1903 cartouche and circled P with an 8 stamped above it. The nose of the stock shows the evidence of being rounded and somewhat finished but sanding marks are evident. It has a Model 03 front sight with a blade that is much smaller/shorter than a stock 1903 front sight. The sight band was installed without the Bannerman look..I cannot even see a cross pin but it is pretty well finished. The barrel is crowned, rounded but with a nice sharp edge on the inside diameter. It is 22 inches long. The barrel band is U marked and there is a small brass pin just in front of it. The rear swivel is standard and tightly inletted in place. The rear sight is a 1901 model. Who ever did the cut down did a fine job. The bore is very good..no pitting, lots of shine.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.