05-19-2024 @ 11:53 PM
    Real Name
    Thomas Smith
    Local Date
    05-27-2024
    Local Time
    02:05 PM

Maltby Refurb, finished

Hi all, I didn't do the full monte on this one as it's all the same as others I've done. But here's the finished product, with the exception of a bit of cold blue and a range test.
    This rifle is built from parts that I harvested off a rifle with a stuffed forend, and a bolt that was messed with. The barrel however is a very good condition No4 standard profile Lithgowicon. Slight throat wear but still won't take .302 from the breech.
    I replaced the wood set with a worn, but servicable set, of the correct manufacturer, and I replaced the bolt with a longbranch one that fitted well.
    I patched the draws and fitted the forend up, which went well. The muzzle takes 4-4.5 lb to lift it off the forend in the horizontal position, and it centres positively.
    The guards fitted without any hassle. The butt needed slight adjustment and is now right.
    I straightened the striker, using a straight edge, my lathe, a block of wood and a hammer. It's now fine.
    The trigger needed the full job adjusting, as at the start I was going off on the first stage. It is now excellent.
    I set up the bolt, needing to adjust striker protrusion. It's now right, as is headspace.
    I didn't really tart anything up cosmetically, as I think this looks like a pretty honest rifle as it is, but I did give it a good soak in linseed oilicon (the wood).
    I removed the old serial No by putting the bolt in the 3 jaw and facing it off, I could have used a slower feed, but it's fine anyway.
    TB have prefixed my renumbering of the bolt and the foreend and I've put the year on the forend too, so when I get rid of it noone will call me a "faker" or something.
    The rifle wears a leather sling I had lying around and a new No5 sight.
    It's been a lot of work and I'm very proud of the result. I would normally given the wood a going over externally, but lately I prefer some bruises and scratches, to that sanded look, and with the grooved rear guard that this wood set has is especially prone to highlighting that someones "had a go at it". And in the end this is not about making a rifle that's "like new", but making some parts into a servicable and competitive rifle.
    Range test next weekend. Will report.
    Sorry about the striker tool, meant for another thread!
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 3 Members Say Thank You to tbonesmith For This Useful Post: