Seeing all of John Thomas on the AR15.com retro forum's awesome work had me looking askance at my franken-carbine GAU-5A/A. The top is a very dark Colt SP1 slickside upper, that was well ude and has scrapes and scuffs of silver showing through. The lower is a very BLACK JD Machine lower that was a present from my son. He got us both lowers so I could build us each a shorty on them, so replacing it is not an option. The barrel is an ER Shaw light weight that is more accurate than my Colt 20". While it looks cool with the slip over faux-moderator with the grenade ring, it adds weight that the muzzle doesn't need. The stock is a Model Ones Sales 4 position that is configured like the Gen II Colt Aluminum. AR makeover commenced.

Here is the before:

I can't afford to send off the upper and lower to Victor at US anodizing, so I decided to use some gray Rustoleum Automotive primer on them. I have used it before to match black A2 lowers to M16A1 uppers that were fairly dark gray. It works great, and is very tough finish, especially if sprayed over hardcoat anodizing. I cleaned and de-greased the parts, rinsed with hot water, and put out in the Mississippi sun to warm up. Two coats on each, allowing it to dry in between. Pics below. Shown is the UPC label.

I am replacing the muzzle heavy faux moderator, and changing it from a GAU-5A/A (which I sometimes carried) to a Model 654/ GAU-5P (Which I also sometimes carried). I'll keep the full 16" for velocity, as this is a "working carbine" I'll use for Personal Defense.
Since I can't afford a Colt OEM aluminum, stock (or even an Essential Arms one), I have coated the Model One stock with several coats of gloss black Krylon. Actually looks pretty good.

Everything is curing now, so I will post pics of the finished product tomorrow when I re-assemble it.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.