Hello. I have had one of these converted rifles for a little over a year or so now and I am thinking about selling it(doesn't really fit my collection and there is something I want more ).
So I would like to know about these rifles before I toss it, just in case there is something special about them-
I have seen the word Chinese (which I was told when I purchased it) and Vietnamese conversions. Additionally, it looks like there is both a "Carbine" and long rifle version. Mine is a carbine configuration though it started life as a long rifle based on the sights. The conversion was pretty poor, as is expected of peasantry work. Many of the rifle's parts have been restamped with a crude "69" which is apparently the new serial number? There is also a heavily faded cartouche in the stock that looks of Chinese origin.
An interesting note- if one looks down the barrel, the actual bore seems to have one spiral loop in it; as in the rifling tool must have skipped or chattered when it was cutting the barrel for the conversion. Strange but the gun seems to shoot just fine- the Arisakaicon action IS one of the strongest actions out there; I only wonder about the barrel- accuracy is pretty poor with that chatter but I did not see any bulged primers or horribly mangled cases after firing, so it seems safe.

That being said, I have only put about 20 rounds through it and that was in one sitting....
So the big thing here is what is it? My guess is that it might have been for use with training? Or, knowing something of the thing encountered in combat in Vietnam, could it have been a service rifle?

Thanks for all your help.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.