Today @ 08:08 PM
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    06-22-2024
    Local Time
    06:24 PM

My M1C

Attachment 25853Attachment 25836Attachment 25837Attachment 25838Attachment 25839Attachment 25840Attachment 25841Attachment 25842Attachment 25843Attachment 25844Attachment 25845Attachment 25846Attachment 25847Attachment 25848Attachment 25849Attachment 25850Attachment 25851Attachment 25852Attachment 25835 Unlike many items shown here, this helmet was mine for almost 25 years of infantry service. Although it was originally issued to the USMC, I traded a young mudroller my M1icon for it in 1974 when I did my first attachment to the Marines. It accompanied me through the rest of my time and went where ever I went. I jealously guarded it, so it shows little damage. The cam cover was the original type issued in the 60's or so and I'm sure I changed it once. We changed covers but I never did. The straps have been washed because they had to be clean for certain occasions. I had the chicken pad but discarded it because it made the helmet fit too tight. The chicken pad was for parachute operations and attatched to the neck strap. It was green and about 3" x 4" with an arrow and "This side up" printed on it. Made of foam, it was for extra padding to avoid ringing your bell on a rear landing. This helmet differs from the Canadianicon para helmet by the inner chin strap which was just a pull buckle and would slip sometimes. The outer strap buckle has a P on it instead of an anchor which I understood to mean Parachutist. This was because of the inner snap which normal straps didn't have. The liner's a firestone and the outer has a heat lot mark of 1 191 I think, if I made it out correctly. It has been sitting in a barracks box beside the work bench and when I took it out for the first time in some years the smell brought back the thought that I could recognize this one in the dark. I know they don't sell for tons and it's not an M2 or something special but I used it for all occasions until they issued kevlar in about '96 or '97. I thought it should see light at least once before a collector ends up with it.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Regards, Jim

2. The Following 6 Members Say Thank You to browningautorifle For This Useful Post: