Attachment 26815
Hi All,
I’ve posted this thread to seek information on a pistol with provenance I was lucky enough to purchase.
The original owner has scratched his name on the grips of the Colt, New Service Revolver, chambered for 455 Eley & issued during World War One. It’s in very good condition for a Colt that’s been through war...apart from the grips!
Crudely stamped on the underside of the grips is;
6ALH & N. S. Griffin.
6ALH stands for the 6th Australianicon Light Horse & the original owner was Noel Sealy Griffin.
I have located 65 pages of information relating to his service during WW1 (46 pages) & WW2 (19 pages) with the National Archives of Australia.
Enlisting as a Trooper in early 1917, he was quickly promoted to Sergeant. Noel embarked to Egypt, with the 6th Light Horse Regiment, being part of the 2nd Australian Light Horse Brigade. By looking at the dates of his records, he was probably involved in various battles through Sinai & Palestine.....the Battle of Beersheba, the capture of Jerusalem, Amman, Jericho, Es Salt & the Egyptian revolt? etc....
He did sustain injuries from a fall from his Horse (not at fault) & archives also mention gunshot wounds to left arm & foot, but are incorrect going by dates & location.
It’s difficult for me to understand military script & abbreviations etc..in these records, but Noels WWII records are even harder to understand.
From Pilot Officer, Flying Officer, Flight Lieutenant, he eventually became Squadron Leader in the Royal Australian Air Force during WWII after working his way up the ranks.
What I would be interested in learning is; Records mention a “Citation for a mention in Despatches”. The problem is how do I locate a copy of this??
From the records I can’t even figure out what type of aircraft he was flying!
I can forward PDF copies of his War records without breaching copyright.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Cheers; Mal
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.