Okay, so this is my bid to be first in the new forums. The way the economy is going, I will never be first for anything again, especially my hope to retire this year.

Range report: Chabot Gun Club, Castro Valley, CA: 200 m Silhouette

The monthly gathering of misfits showed up to a rainy and cold day and realized that our regular target re-setter, the ever affable Tim, would not be with us today. So we milled around and quibbled for a while. Then a few started to leave as most of us didn't want to get wet resetting our own targets.

Eventually only half a dozen remained (I was among the wimps today) to shoot at some pickup steel scrounged from the range. I hope they had fun, since I was gone by then.

On a normal month, the first Sunday is the day for silhouette on our 200 m range. We shoot at four animal setups in as many relays as needed. Usually we get 20-30 folks. We shoot a lot of military surplus rifle, as well as modern rifles. The classes are iron sights and NRA B, A, AA, AA, Master for scoped rifles. We pay for place if there are 3 or more per spot.

Every second month we shoot two rifles. That is instead of 40 rounds, we split into two 20 round matches, usually scoped and irons. Often there is a sub-class of "featured rifle" which we decide the month before. Featured this month was "smoke poles." It could be Garands, Enfields, lever actions, M1icon Carbines, Swedes, Swissicon, etc.

I invite all shooters to come out and try our matches. They are very informal, although we demand high standards for safety. Chabot is a scenic area in the hills above Oakland, CA and central to all of the Bay Area. The guys are friendly and helpful and we enjoy helping new shooters at silhouette.

Chabot Gun Club
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.