Hello, recently I've been looking into a very nicely finished (hardly sanded down from what I can tell/feel,) M1917 Rifle. It's even got the original barrel, marked 1918, and is in great shape/condition. Currently it's up against an equally nice 1895 Chileanicon Mauser, which I've posted questions about, on the Mauser forums here. But to stick with the M1917, I was just wondering on some markings I saw.

First, what does the Eagle's Head with the 25, mean? I've heard it has something to do with Springfield Armory way back when, taking them and refurbishing them up a bit?

Secondly, I was wondering how mixed are the parts when it comes to these rifles? Like the old Sovieticon M19/30s, you can find pretty much either Tula or Izzy markings/parts, on the rifles. My own has these, and the reason I ask about the M1917, is because it says it's a Remington. Has a Remington barrel (unless the gun guy told me wrong), and everything about it is Remington it seems. Except for one particular little piece. I didn't realize it the first time I looked the rifle over, but recently when I was looking at it, I moved the safety latch back and realized on (I'm not sure what you'd called it,) the dark piece of metal that the rear of the hammer slides through, has the "E" for Eddystone (which I know was apart of Remington, but marked as their own,) and I was just wondering how common it is to see parts mixed and matched like this? And also, does the "E" make it any more valuable than it already is since from what I know, Eddystone was highly rated with these?

From what I know of the M1917, this hasn't been sporterized or anything, which is exactly what I don't want for such a beautiful rifle. Everything on it seems to have come just as it was out of the factory, but just looks like it's aged 12, not almost 100.

Thanks for the replies

Roger.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.