Hello,

I'm new to Milsuprs.com and wanted to say "Hello" and ask a question.

I recently purchased what appears to be a "correct" grade HRA in caliber 7.62x51 that has me scratching my head. I was told these parts were exported in the late 50's to a middle eastern country as spares, never used and imported by Federal Ordnance. Once back in the USAicon the parts were "BUILT" into a complete rifle. In fact there is a Federal Ordnance So El Monte stamp on the flat, vertical magazine tines below the stock line. ALL major parts are marked HRA with drawing numbers that begin with 65, including the 10-54 marked barrel and the receiver. The receiver is not nearly as well finished as my 2 SA's nor IHC. I have read about "rewelded" receivers and I do not believe this one has been, but I am not an expert on the matter so I'm open to education. The heal of the receiver is marked H&R Arms w/ a 5,51x,xxx serial number and the drawing number on the forward part of the receiver next to the Fed Ord import stamp is a 65 drawing number like the rest of the parts. There are no machine marks on the outside, nor inside for the receiver and everything looks straight when you place a straight edge against flat or lined surfaces. I also looked the barrel over to see if it looked like someone "sleeved" a different barrel on the breach end and it appears to be one continuous piece of metal.

The last owner sold it as a .308 and shot .308 in it. A 7.62x63 will NOT chamber. There is NOT a white plastic spacer in the magazine well. He said he bought it from a gentleman 18 years ago and does not know if it has a "Navy Collar" or not.

My question is:

1. Since this does not appear to be a re-barrel could/did HRA make 7.62x51 barrels in 1954 for export. Or more likely it has a sleeve.

Any experience with, knowledge of or thoughts on this rifle. It is a beautiful rifle with a perfect fit and function.

Thanks Joe
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.