Thread: M1917 finish question (pics of rifle now added)

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Senior Moderator
    (Founding Partner)

Site Founder
    Last On
    05-31-2024 @ 09:58 PM
    Real Name
    Ronald
    Local Date
    06-08-2024
    Local Time
    03:01 PM

M1917 finish question (pics of rifle now added)

I picked up an Eddystone M1917, still in cosmolene this week. Bbl is a 10-18 date. Every part down to the smallest detail is Eddystone and there is no obvious evidence of it having served outside the US. (i.e. no evidence of red paint, no C-arrow markings, bolt still un-serialized, etc.) No import marks and came out of a collection in Canadaicon that was put together at least 30 years ago.

Now the odd part. bbl bore is about perfect and wood looks pretty original, all the ancillary parts (magazine, bottom plate, bolt, sight, bands, etc.) are either nicely rust blued (rear band and bolt) or parkerized with that nice aged USGI "green" look (bottom metal, front band), but the barrel is parkerized over sandblast or coarse bead blast and the action has been blasted, parkerized and is coated in some sort of thin paint that looks a lot like black parkerizing but is in fact a dull, matte paint - similar to what you see on original M1903 Mark I pedersen-device rifles. It's wearing off in a few of the high points (rifle has been issued but not abused).

Is this blasted, parked, and painted finish 1918/1919 era US applied, inter-war applied, a WW2 re-finish, or evidence of service elsewhere?

IMHO having collected Britishicon arms extensively, it is not suncorite and looks exactly like parkerizing but is in fact a coating overtop parkerizing.

I'll try to post pics next week as it's apart for de-greasing. I also have to replace the front action screw bushing. When the rifle was last assembled in service, the busing was actually crushed against the receiver and not all the way through the stock to contact the front tang of the trigger guard. It's like someone used a bloody big screwdriver to torque the action into the stock and crushed the busing. It had proper contact bedding, but it bothers me, so I'll replace it and fit a new bushing.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Claven2; 05-23-2012 at 07:41 AM.
    Союз нерушимый республик свободных Сплотила навеки Великая Русь. Да здравствует созданный волей народов Единый, могучий Советский Союз!