Question to Peter Laidlericon

Having read your article "No42 and No53 sights …. Have you ever thought?", my question is
how do-able would it be to remove the cast graticle/turret housing assembly from a clapped out No32 and refit it to a good condition No42/No55?

It appears that the cast housing is held on to the No32 steel tube with a combination of pinning and solder and that with a bit of precision machining and careful heat, it may be possible to remove and refit to a modified No42/No55

I have heard a whisper that there may be a couple of clapped out No32 Mk1's in a drawer Downunder, where the tubes are damaged but the graticle/turret assembly's are intact. (There is already a good condition No42 and a good No55 in the cupboard at home gathering dust.)

It is a project that Trooper554877 and I discussed this morning.

Something that we could tackle and even if we stuffed it up completely, at worse all that we have damaged is a No42/No55 and a clapped out No32.

It would also enable us to get familiar with the No32 scope workings without damaging a valuable No32.

No more than a thought at this stage.

Your thoughts please.

Paul
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.