This one has me stumped, gentlemen. I've referred to Richard Hosmericon's book and can't quite figure this old girl out. She has characteristics of both the 1868 and 1870 Springfield. Here is how I would describe her. Lock plate is "U.S./SPRINGFIELD" with eagle and dated "1863." Block is marked "1870/eagle head/crossed arrows/U.S." Barrel length breech to where it meets receiver is 30 1/2". Total length is about 51 3/4". Ramrod is single shoulder and is 34 1/2". Stock length is 47 1/2. Barrel is .50 cal and it sure does not look lined (at least I cannot see the line at the muzzle). No serial number on right side where witness marks are (witness marks are present). Rear sight is 1861 type with aperture for 300 yds and notch for 500 yds. Sight folds down towards the butt end (i.e., hinge part of sight is towards muzzle) and sight is 5/8" from rear band and 2 1/2" from receiver. There are witness marks present in front and rear of rear sight. No other markings appear on the metal. Remnant of oval cartouche on left stock flat. Does anyone know what this old gal is? Thanks! Chip PS, I can't attach photos for some reason so let me know your email and I can send them that way if anyone wants them. Thanks
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.