Brophy states the production numbers of the M1903 Gallery Rifles (on Hoffer-Thompson basis) seperately for each year. He also lists 4.500 barrels being produced in 1920 and 1921, where no complete rifles were being built.

Does this mean now that any Gallery Rifle with a barrel dating 1920/1921 is being assembled from parts and not originally built in this configuration?

Furthermore, as production started in 1907: would the S/N of the receiver being used match to the barrel date, or can it be that a 1918 assembled rifle came on a 1910 dating receiver?

As I also understood Brophy usually every of these rifles has to bear a .22 marking somewhere, these were mostly parts considered obsolete for .30-06 rifles. Were these parts also from *any* period? So in addition to the previous question, could it be that a 1910 inspected stock is being fitted to a rifle with a receiver dating 1912 with a barrel dating 1918, or would this be a mixmaster? All numbers being given here are just examples, I do not have any specific rifle (unfortunately) - but if I ever get the chance to buy one, I want to make sure it's original.

ATB,

Georg
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.