First of a big hello to everyone on this forum from a fellow Garand owner in Canadaicon

I just joined this forum yesterday after having just purchased my first Garand on the weekend. So of course I just went to Google and punched in searches to find out more about this rifle. It has always interested me since it was designed by a fellow Canadian so I just had to get one. I just found one and bought it. Not the best example but an M1icon Garand none the less. Currently it has a black synth stock on it but I got all the furniture for it and have sent it out for restoration so that I can be returned to original look.

It is serial number 4,250x,xxx which an online age calculator tells me is 1952, yet I have a barrel stamp of 10 53. Of course I would like to find out as much as I can about the gun. I know that it is a Springfield but what is curious is the NM stamp on the top of the operating rod handle. Is it possible that it really is a 1953 national match rifle? None of the serial numbers on the parts match so it has definitely been rebuilt over time which does fit into what I read online about how NM rifles were done in '53 (and repaired/refurbished over time)

I look forward to hearing back from fellow enthusiasts here. This is my first post, and I'm still trying to figure out just how to even use this forum. No, I'm not selling it or asking for a value. To me it's worth the few hundred bucks I paid for it. It's a part of history I wanted to add to my military collection of Britishicon, Russianicon and now US arms. It's the Canadian link that had me interested more than anything
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.