Need some help here.

I have a pair of Inglis & Sons Browning Hi-Powers, a No 1 Mk I* and a No 2 Mk I* FTR'd by Enfield in 1963. The latter has always fuctioned flawlessly and I have, maybe, 100 to 200 rounds through it in the 15 or so years since I bought it. I have detail cleaned it religiously and never had a malfunction with it.

The other one, the No 1, is my problem child. Does NOT like to feed any sort of ammo, even standard FMJ - and manufacturer makes no difference. Routinely the casing will fail to fully extract or, even it it does, the slide will still fail to return to battery.

It was suggested to me that the main spring on the No 1 was worn out and possessed insufficient tension to return the slide to battery. As an experiment I swapped the main springs AND their respective guide assemblies and afterwards switched them back after firing some 26 rounds from each pistol, then expending another 13 from each.

1. The problem in the No 1 Mk I* has not abated, though the interval between failures has improved somewhat.

2. I am now experinecing the same problems with the formerly reliable No 2 Mk I*.

Any assistance in solving this problem would be greatly appreciated as I am completely flummuxed.

Cheers
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.