Firstly - a BIG thank you to you all for the responses, I learned plenty! The rifle's big attraction to me is that it is a Lee Enfield and I have wanted to own one since I shot them extensively at school in Englandicon (Malvern) and up until now have not even come close to the chance to do so. This particular one is at the local range, taken in by the owner as an exchange. The owner knows nothing about it other than what he wants for it.

It would appear to be worth maybe $100, he wants $300 and I have a feeling that is too much considering I'd want to at least add PH sights and do a major clean up to make it usable. Bone head that I am I forgot to check of the bolt is a match, I'll do that next visit. I do not mind so much it not being a fabulous collector's military piece, might be better that way so I could use it and work on it without having much to worry about. I am definitely looking for a rifle to use rather than sit.

I might make him and offer I guess, but if he needs near the 300 out of it it may be a bust unfortunately.