I bought a straight stock Remington 1903A3, SN 3749XXX, and the barrel is marked RA 6-43. When I got it home, stripped it down and found that all the parts are stamped "R".

My issue is that the rear sight isn't in the best of condition. I located and purchased a replacement rear sight, but as I began preparing to remove the old sight, I came across three problems.

#1. The sight base locking screw as been staked with what appears to have been a chisel,
#2. The windage knob set screw was apparently staked with the same chisel, and
#3. Upon closer examination with a bright light, and a magnifying glass, I was able to determine that the base was staked again; by some unknown BFT.

Short of a blow torch, any suggestions on how to get the rear sight off? Though I will admit that I seriously considering a Dremel tool

The original Cartouche on the stock are present but about worn away. They are the Crossed Cannons Ordinance, the initials F J A,

The rifle has been through at least one refurb as there is a square Cartouche stamped "RIA EB" on the left side of the buttstock.

Thanks ahead of time.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.