I was looking at an 1898 dated rifle this morning with capture markings of either Austriaicon or Germanyicon. I don't recall the third letter in the arsenal rework to determine which. The stock appears to have a small German eagle stamp but I haven't been able to confirm this through known markings.

In that these rifles went through German or Austrian arsenals are they going to remain matching numbers or not? This rifle has no numbers matching on any of the parts. It has a stock produced after 1910 with the dog collar slots with the screw in metal plates. I believe it has the earlier barrel bands but I'll have to look at it again to confirm. What makes no sense to me is that it has what appears to be a 91/30 front sight with hood that has been bashed into an oval. The stock has a really bad shellac type finish. I didn't look at it close enough to determine if it is import marked and as I didn't have my book with me there didn't know what other specific markings to check for. I saw nothing to indicate it was in Finnishicon service at any time other than possibly the front sight. The sight looks like it slides into the groove rather than fitting over the barrel fitting which looks like the Finnish practice. The nose cap is intact and stamped with the bow and arrow symbol.

I don't have one of these and the price is not extreme (under $200) and it is intriguing that it has the capture markings. Bore did not look all that great but I didn't have a scope with me either. It almost seems like it may have been recaptured and reworked by the Soviets but the rear sight is original. The imperial stamps were peened out on the receiver.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.