So, I got my hands on a sporterized MkIII Ross (barrel and stock both cut down), and I am planning to do some destructive testing on it as part of a video explaining the myths and realities of the Ross' reputation as a dangerous rifle.

I will be drilling out the safety rivet and demonstrating how to incorrectly reassemble the bolt, and demonstrating it firing unlocked with an empty primed case.

I have also read a theory that the bolt blowouts may have been caused by hangfires. Clearly this could happen if the bolt were manually opened slightly when the round ignited, but it appears some folks think it might also happen if a shooter releases the trigger before ignition and pressure on the bolt face unlocks the lugs. I should be able to get my hands on some junky hangfire-prone .303 to test this possibility.

So, my question is, are there any other theories out there that I should check out? I'm not a Ross expert by any means, and would appreciate input from folks who know much more about them than I. What else, if anything, would you try if you had a sacrificial rifle to use?

FWIW, I have access to some professional high-speed cameras for this experiment, so if I can get it to kaboom there will be some really neat footage of the event.

Thanks!

Ian
Admin, ForgottenWeapons.com
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.