Hi all! NEw member here. I've been reading for the past few weeks, but this is my first post.

I got a 1942 Izhevsk MN. Shooting winchester softpoints at my 50 yd range, I was getting groups in the 1.5 - 2 in range, which is about as well as I can do open sights on my benchrest .22.

Of course, then next step is a scope and handloads. I've loaded before, but only 45 ACP, never rifle.

Anyway, long story, but I slugged my bore and came out at .308. I tried it twice from the chamber and once from the muzzle, and got the same thing every time. Can that be?

Slugging really is just "pound fishing weight that is bigger than the barrel through the barrel with a wooden stick and measure what comes out", right? The .308 is the outer diameter of the output. I didn't measure the diameter at the grooves, but they are well defined, and I could feel the slug turning as I pushed it through, so that seems good.

From what I have read, I should be seeing .310-.314. Am I doing something wrong, and if it is .308, does that make it special in some way (i.e. more valuable than the other million 1942's out there). I trust my calipers - they read the winchester as .308, and a 45 cast at .451, so I don't think its a calibration issue.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
Dave.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.