Hi guys - - - I'm a newbie to SKS rifles. I did some research here and at other places online to try to learn about them before making a purchase. - - - I came across a Chinese factory 0134 rifle recently. It has the short lug barrel, so I understand its mid years production. The rifle looks to be in excellent condition and well maintained. No corrosion anywhere. Shiny strong bore. The owner says he found it at a gun show many years ago for cheap. He cleaned off the cosmolineicon, lubricated it, and didnt do anything with it. He never shot it, and pretty much forgot about it all these years. He's not a collector of SKS rifles and couldnt really tell me anything about it.
So here's my question - - - I did a basic take down of the rifle to check out the bolt carrier (numbers match rifle) and the gas system (looks great). I had read that when you shake the removed bolt carrier, the firing pin should rattle if you shake it. This one doesn't. I can move the firing pin back and forth with my finger, no problem. I did not completely disassemble the bolt carrier to examine the firing pin.
If you can move the firing pin in such a way, but it doesn't rattle when you shake the bolt carrier - are you still o.k. ? Sorry if this is a dumb newbie question.

The owner is an old friend of the family. He hadnt really thought about selling this SKS. It just came up in passing conversation. The rifle is marked Norinco and was imported by CSI out of Ontario, Canadaicon. What would be a rough estimate of a fair price for a nice, clean SKS like this ?
I know prices shot up in the US after last December, have they settled back some ? Thanks guys - - -
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.