I picked up a sporter job No4 Mk1 at a pawn shop a few years ago to restore because no metal parts were touched and the bore is pristine. While at a gun show I came across a table covered with surplus rifle parts and after a little talking I came home with the four pieces shown. It was an impulsive purchase and the desire to restore this rifle led to the purchase.

Intent

I would like to restore this rifle back to its military configuration. Am I correct in assuming that since it is an FTR rifle it could have any mix of parts? I would like it to be as correct as possible while not breaking the bank.

Questions

What type of wood do these appear to be? The forestock has a "D" stamped forward of the magazine well. The buttstock has no markings but is a "Long" variation.

Should I search for different wood or strip the handguards and refinsh all to match?

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I want to do this correctly the first time!

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.