I have encountered a problem that has me baffled. I acquired a new "old" 03 with an A5 scope. I took it to the range, and shooting from a rest I got a big surprise. I make my own targets, and they have diagonal lines from corner to corner (an X through the center of the bullseye). My rounds stretch from the bullseye to the upper corners along that line. Checked for loose scope, etc. No problems. Put the rifle back together and the POI switched sides from right to left. Once again, they stetch from the bullseye to the upper corner, but on the opposite side of the target. I fired fifty rounds, and literally cut out the line.

Took the rifle back to the house and took it apart. Checked everything I can think of. Switched loads from ball ammo to handloads. Went out the next day and got exactly the same thing, but it had switched back to the right side of the target.

The order of impacts does not climb up and out. The first shot may be in the bullseye, the second in the upper right hand corner, and all in between or vice versa. Changed loads and bullet weights and ditto. I am getting a neat 45 degree grouping along a 4" line. No hit is more than a 1/4" off the line, but may be on either side of the line.

If I need to print a target, let me know. I think there may be a couple I didn't shred in frustration.

Has anyone got a clue what I am doing wrong or what may be the culprit? It must be something physical, as disassembling and re-assembling the rifle can make the POI's switch sides of the target, although it doesn't happen every time.

Jim
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.