I need a bit of clarification. I have decided to get into reloading brass and I am beginning to get my gear together.

I have the Hornady 9th edition manual and have looked over the Hodgdon Reloading Data sight and have noticed something I can’t wrap my head around.

In trying to decide what bullets, powder and primers to buy, I have noticed that the same bullet type and weight from different manufacturers results in different charges and velocities depending on which powder is listed.

But I have also noticed that even given the same powder, the recipe will be slightly different with bullets from different manufacturers.

I would have thought a 174 grain, .311 diameter FMJ bullet would be a 174 grain, .311 diameter FMJ regardless of who made it.

I would have thought that size, weight, diameter and type are all that mattered.

Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

I will eventually get into pistol reloading as well (specifically 38Sp and 357mag) and I will guess the same applies to pistol reloading as rifle reloading.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.